Wednesday 31 July 2013

Cleaning up the Mess

So, we've decided to Embrace the Mess, but how do we deal with and clean up the mess?!!

How do we stop everything from staining?  What other tips do we have?

STAINS

Aargh, I hate stains, but I'm really not very good with them.  I wish I was good at it, but I'm not...  I'm so bad that I have passed all the washing duties to my husband!  There are some great tips out there to keep your whites (sort of) white blah, blah, blah :)

There are a couple of things that are really, really bad stainers...  Pear, banana, beetroot, spaghetti bolognaise are a few to be named.  So, what should we do to help?

The first thing to do, is to grab one of those full bibs - you know the ones, they have arms and tie up at the back - like a big painting apron, but teensy for little babies!  These are a life saver, they really are...

General Tips:
These tips should work for most stains and so fit into the 'general' group.

A good tip I have heard is to pull the clothes very tight; stretch as tight as possible and pour boiling water over the stain.  I have tried this before, but I think I tried it when the stain was already very, very old... It actually worked a little, but I'm sure it would have worked much better had I done this when the stain was very new.

If you don't mind using NapiSan, then soaking always helps, making sure the NapiSan is dissolved first, and massaging the clothes every now and again in the bucket.

If you're not a fan of NapiSan, you can use BiCarb Soda - make a paste with a little water and smear on the stain and leave on for at least 10 minutes, rubbing a little.  A paste can also be made from NapiSan too and used in the same way.

DO NOT USE A DRIER WITH YOUR CLOTHES UNTIL A STAIN IS REMOVED, OTHERWISE IT WILL SET, AND BE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE

Pear and Banana -

I've heard and know from personal experience that these are probably the worst stainers, but some of the best snacks!!  The best thing to do is to rinse them straight away, then wash as soon as possible and hang them with the stain facing the sun...
Another I haven't tried yet, but will certainly do this next time - for banana, rub it all over with tea tree oil, and for pear - rub with glycerine and leave for 20 minutes - wash as normal :)  They sound interesting, and the tips were found here

Spaghetti Bolognaise -

  • FRESH - 
    • Use a dishwashing liquid (bleach free) and pour a little onto the stain.  Rub the fabric between your fingers so that you're rubbing both the front and the back together.  The dishwashing liquid will help to break down the oil in the stain and effectively remove. Rinse with cold water and repeat the process until the stain is gone.  Wash as normal.  Don't dry the clothes until the stain is gone!
    • Talcum powder???  Sprinkle on the stain and leave it sit for an hour to absorb the oils, then brush it off an wash as noraml.
  • SET - Tomato stains that have been 'set' (clothes dried in the drier, hot water used etc).  These stains are almost impossible to remove :(  A few tips I've seen are:
    • Moisten the fabric with water, then use dishwashing liquid as above, but instead of just using your hands to rub the stain, rub it with an ice cube as well.  If the stain still remains, repeat a couple of times, and if it's still there, rub the area with a cloth soaked in vinegar.
    • Use the 'boiling water' method
    • BiCarb and Salt.  Make a paste from equal parts of salt and bicarb with a little water.  Rub onto the stain and work it in with your fingers.  Wash the fabric as normal.  

So, I think that'll do for part one of cleaning up stains - more stain solutions to come!

I'll find some stained clothes somewhere around and trial some of the ideas that I've set out here, keep checking in and giving me some ideas :)

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment