Saturday 28 September 2013

Left Over Mash...

For some weird reason, only 1 of my 4 kids enjoys mash, and he wasn't home tonight, so there was a fair bit of mash left over!!!

Without fail, I always put left over mash in the fridge, thinking to myself 'I'll make something with this tomorrow'.  Tomorrow never comes...  Tell me I'm not the only one :)

Tonight, I FINALLY decided I should do something with the mash before I cleaned up the kitchen.  I scoured the net (well actually, a quick google search) and I saw my inspiration - Gnocchi!!

Looked pretty easy.  Mashed potato, flour, egg.  I'm sure I could do that.

At the moment, I'm meant to be on a no wheat, gluten, dairy, blah, blah, blah diet, so I thought I should do the right thing and use a gluten free flour.  I had some buckwheat flour in the cupboard, so I decided to use this.  I have no clue whether it will work or not, but hey, I figure you need to try yeah??


I forgot to take pics of the mixture before it was almost all gone!!!  So in my mash is white potato (I have no idea what type) and sweet potato, both with the skin on.

The ratio to make gnocchi is 2 parts potato to 1 part flour plus 1 egg.  I didn't actually measure mine, but just added enough flour for the dough to come together and not be too sticky.


Then take out a fist full of dough and turn onto a floured surface and roll into a sausage about 1.5cm in diameter (again, I didn't measure).

Chop them up with a knife and place on a baking tray (or other tray that fits in your freezer).


I chose to freeze mine straight up as I knew I wasn't going to use them straight away.  I placed them on a baking tray making sure they weren't touching, and put them in the freezer.

They'll stay there for about 3 hours, until frozen, then they can be put into a freezer bag or other container and will keep up to 2 months.

Once you're ready to use them, they must be cooked from frozen.  Drop them into boiling water, and remove once they have risen to the top of the pan.  Remember not to crowd the saucepan!!

I'll let you know how the buckwheat flour, skins-on mash based gnocchi goes once we use it!  I'm hoping the kids gobble it up better than their mash!  Seriously what kid doesn't like mashed potato - crazy cats :)

No comments:

Post a Comment